Friday, 31 May 2013

Porcupines! Cobras! Gardening! Billowing Clouds! Oh my!



If you caught yourself saying: surely all this hasn’t just happened in one day?! … then you’d be right :) But it has all happened within the span of a week!

The porcupine was an unwelcome visitor that was caught by the night guard and the two compound dogs. The cobra was another unfortunate creature that popped his head out from his hiding place too early (snakes are a big caution given to people to watch out for as they walk).

The topic of gardening was an open invitation to take some initiative and get things in the ground to grow. Loki and Grant had heard of my family’s big garden and thought that I would like to (literally) get my hands dirty. Today was the first day of planting! So far we have carrots and lettuce and kale in the ground. :)

Despite my effort to try and capture the beauty I beheld this morning, I am still so awed. The billowing clouds that came over the mountains as I went for my (attempted consistent) morning walk reminded me of a wave coming over the mountain, preparing to engulf me. And as the sun peeked over the hills it emitted a hot glow that enhanced the beauty of the moment. Sigh… :)

The other pictures I have included is the outside of the Callaghan’s home and the other is of my bedroom door. When I arrived in Kurungu I was greeted by the children’s get-to-know me creations. They had made a card that had their name on it and some of the things that they liked :)

In regards to the children, I have started consistently teaching this week. I switch mornings between working with Abby, Caity, and Lily (three 6 year old girls) and then the boys, Nathan and Luke. It has been a marvelous time working with their individual needs and setting up specific activities that help them meet their goals. Futuristically, tomorrow I also have the chance to lead a small devotional with the secondary girls (ages 14-17years) from the school that Jay (Callaghan) teaches. Likewise, on Sunday I will be leading the Sunday school lesson for the 50+ children that are normally in attendance! What an experience that’ll be! Thank you Lord for translators and … peace and patience :)

Thank you for your encouragement and prayers of support!






1 comment:

  1. Why do they have thatched roofs on concrete walls?

    ReplyDelete