Friday, 24 May 2013

First Day in Kurungu - May 23rd


What a first day in day Kurungu!

I flew in with AIM AIR to a landing strip near Kurungu (what a smooth flight!). It was so lovely to be able to look down and see the huts and greenery :) As we touched down I was greeted by Jay Callaghan, and Grant Swanepoel and his two daughters, Abby and Caity. 
After refueling the plane with buckets (literally) of gasoline, we took off, as did the plane. As we were driving down the roads I could feel the sand penetrate my hair and the temperature absorb into my skin; however, I’ve been informed that this temperature is one of the cooler areas in Northern Kenya (praise the Lord!).

Upon arriving at the house I was introduced briefly to Loki and Laura and their families. Then we had lunch (lemon bread with icing sugar and vanilla milk and apples – a rare treat). We then started our afternoon quiet time, but Grant (Swanepoel) came over and said would anyone like to come to see some Samburu dancing (festivity association with some of the village women’s circumcision - a custom that is becoming rarer); I was like – yes!?! So, after making a second trip to gather my protective sun gear – scarf for my head, sunscreen, and a water bottle, I set out with Grant and our guide (a man who works on the weekends for the Swanepoel's). Armed with our cameras, we were at first told we couldn’t take pictures (which is sometimes the case with certain tribes), however after more talking we were given permission. 

What was my first impression? Grant’s pictures that he had previously posted on FB were coming to life! There was this humming/throat singing that the men did and various types of dances. Some consisted of jumping high, while the woman did a type of dance where they would thrust out their chest and flick their necklaces up and down as they dance (kind of like a rocking motion). These celebrations usually take place the whole day. I was also informed by Grant that the men normally dress in their traditional clothing which consists usually of red material,   armed with a sword on the hip at all times and a mirror (literally). The woman wore beaded circular necklaces in a thick strand. Some of the younger girls did too. The common colours were red and yellow. I think we spent 2 hours there. :) What an afternoon! 

Below are some pictures of the event! 



No comments:

Post a Comment