No safari for me (unfortunately), but the next best thing –
a close-up and personal with elephants and giraffes!
Mid-morning Debbie, a short-termer from Hong Kong, and myself decided let’s do something in Nairobi! So, we chose to go to the Elephant Orphanage and the Giraffe Center. We were picked up by Joseph, a highly recommended taxi driver and then set off on our adventure.
The first stop – the Elephant Orphanage. This is an orphanage set up to reestablish elephants that have been literally washed-up (by storms), abandoned, or injured by man-made or natural obstacles. These elephants are then raised for 3 years and then released back into the wild. The only thing separating us from them? A rope (literally). How neat it was to be able to be within arms reach (at times); to touch and to take near (multiple) pictures.
The next stop was the Giraffe center. My first impression was, “woah! And I thought I was tall!” These beautiful animals were enormous! We were able to walk up onto a platform and feed them (yes, even as the picture shows, directly from the mouth). There was one thing that I was encouraged to do at this particular stop, and it was get a kiss from the giraffe, and knowing me, I totally did it – haha, more than once. Did you know a giraffe’s tongue is 45cm long!?
Anyway, enjoy some of the pictures of the day!
No comments:
Post a Comment